Year 10 Te Reo Maori (Full Year)
He Taonga te reo
Year 10 Te Reo Māori is a year-long course with 3 one hour lessons per week. This course is designed to support students to further develop their skills in speaking, reading, writing and listening in Te Reo Māori. It is preferred that you have studied Te Reo Māori at Year 9 Te Reo Rumaki. New students will be considered if they have attended a Kura or Immersion Unit.
Some students in this course may have the opportunity to gain NCEA Level 1 Unit Standard credits and to learn to communicate in Māori about a range of topics.
- Ko ngā marae me ngā tikanga ā te Māori (Marae, customs and cultural values)
- Toku Ao (the world I live in)
Hākinakina, kemu Māori me ngā mahi ā Te Rehia (Sports, Māori games and Māori performing Arts)
- Ko ngā hākari, tunu kai me ngā hui whakanuia (Feasts, cooking & festivals such as: Matāriki)
- He whakaaturanga mō te tangata me ngā taonga (Describing people and objects)
- He kōrero mōu, tō kāinga me ngā mahi ngahau ki a koe (Talking about self, home and hobbies)
This course will also include practical elements such as writing recipes and cooking, making kites during Matāriki and learning how to host a pōhiri (Māori welcome).
To enrol in NCEA Level 1 Te Reo Māori, students must have completed Year 10 Te Reo Māori.