NCEA Level 2 Te Waharoa
Teacher in Charge: Whaea L. Yates Wright
This course is an introduction to Māori Tikanga, History and Georgraphy. It provides Unit Standard credits towards NCEA Level 2. The topics during the year will include the following: Declaration of Independence, Treaty of Waitangi, Hāhi Māori, Impact of Christianity, Māori Leader, Pūrākau within Te Ao Māori and Pakiwaitara within Te Ao Māori. Assessments will cover two open book tests, power points and essays. In this course students have the opportunity to achieve 27 credits.
It is intended that Te Waharoa is an initiative that will address all of the following:
- Increase student retention to Year 13.
- Ensure students leave school with some qualification/credits towards NCEA
- Provide a programme that will be of high interest to Māori students.
- Extend beyond the classroom and academic achievement and provide pastoral support for students.
- Build strong links with the students participants and their whanau
- Support/Facilitate transition to the workplace for students.
- Support student exploration of appropriate career pathways.
Recommended Prior Learning
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
$20 for local field trips
Total Credits Available: 27 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 27 credits.