The Humanities Department at RLHS inspires our students to observe, interpret and understand the world around them and their place in it.
The Humanities Department learning area is about ‘how societies work and how people can participate as critical, active, informed and responsible citizens. Contexts are drawn from the past, present, and future and from places within and beyond NZ’ (NZ Curriculum).
Through the Humanities Department our students develop specific knowledge and ideas, an understanding of key concepts as well as applied skills that enable them to better understand, participate in, and contribute to the local, national and global communities in which they live and will work. Our students engage critically with current issues and evaluate the sustainability of alternative social, economic, political and environmental practices. Our courses are relevant, thought-provoking, challenging, interesting and fun.
We hope our students will be life-long learners in our subject areas, but if they do not continue specifically in the Humanities Department, they will still develop the following skills that will support their learning in other Senior school subjects and at tertiary level and beyond;
- Written and verbal communication skills and digital literacy
- Critical, creative and reflective thinking, analytical skills and problem-solving
- Statistical analysis, numeracy, mapping and graphing
- Experience in inquiry research methodology
- Self-management & ability to meet deadlines
- Understanding perspectives
- Developing independent viewpoints
- Social and co-operative skills
Subjects in this Department