NCEA Level 2 Geography
Teacher in Charge: Mrs S. Beaumont-Gill
We live in a world of amazing beauty, infinite complexity and rigorous challenge. Geography opens the door to this dynamic world.
This course is ideally suited to students with a strong interest in environmental issues and geological science. It explores:
- the pattern of crime in Chicago and how this is linked to the economy
- the natural features of the Amazon basin which are threatened by oil companies
- the impacts of coastal erosion around New Zealand
- the current resource consent issues for opencast and underground mining in Waihi
- designing and carrying out group research projects
Geography compliments other curriculum subject areas such as;
Economics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, Tourism
As there is no specific “job” for a Geographer, Geography related careers include:
- Environmental Consultant
- Civil Engineering
- Waste Management
- Water Resource Management
- Social Policy
- Regional Planner
- Tourism Operations Manager
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Recommended Prior Learning
Students must have completed 11 Geography, 11 History or 11 English
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
Total Credits Available: 19 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 8 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 11 credits.